Christmas morning AKA glazed pieces out of the kiln

My teacher Francie was so right when she said seeing your glazed pottery would be like Christmas morning. You just never know what to expect, some items surprise you and others disappoint.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

The above is my favorite piece. It is glazed with yellow salt after round sticker were applied to the bisque. I love how parts of it browned.

Below is the disappointment. The painted OM symbol and “be here now” didn’t show up after the glaze fire. I dipped the mug in Butter Ranch glaze and the letters are painted on using Malcolm Dave’s Shino.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

and the rest of my presents 🙂

These two blow my mind! They were done opposite yet they look the same (except the insides). Glazed with John’s Red and Lil Street Tinmoku. The mug was dipped completely in John’s Red and the the top part was dipped in Lil Street Tinmoku. The chunker cylinder on the left was dipped the opposite way.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Below, I believe I used Reitz Green and the three dips method. I am thinking the top dip ended up inside the cup. Pretty wild how the single dip is brown, not green.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Below is a wax resist. On the inside of the mug I used Nick’s Yellow and then dipped the whole mug in Pale Blue Celendon. The yellow and blue made green on the inside 🙂

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Below, I used blue jean glaze. I did three dips. First, whole item dipped using tongs to hold the cup. The second dip was done while holding the mug upside down, and inserted into the glaze up to the second carved groove. The third dip was again done the same as the second and dipped up to the first carved groove.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Below I choose John’s Red glaze. Again I did the three dips technique (it is an assignment). The third dip is just on the rim of the cylinder.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Advertisements

Out of the Kiln

My first set of cylinders and mugs out of the kiln. Good thing my classmate Toni showed me where to look AND to look for something a light pink! I never would have thought my grey wet clay, that turned white when dry, would change to pink when fired.

These items were in the kiln for appropriately 24 hours, with a one hour preheat, the cone setting was 04 (for my NM Sol cone 10 clay) at a slow setting. Two of my items were fired with another batch, due to being too wet to put in with the first batch. They were unloaded today (after I took pictures) and I am very happy to say they all survived.

Boy did the big chunka one (not pictured here) shrink, thank goodness.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.