My Little Teapot

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

One of our class projects was to hand build, an item of our choosing, out of three thrown slabs of clay. To create the slab, we first threw a bottomless cylinder. Before removing it from the wheel, we sometimes used our wire cutter to slice it into one, or two pieces, which would lay flat. I found two pieces easier to remove from the wheel, then one long piece.

For my teapot I used a cylinder which I did not slice, it was removed from the wheel, placed on a board and shaped like a pear to harden up a bit. The sides of the teapot are another cylinder sliced into two pieces and laid flat to dry. Once my clay hardened up a bit, I laid my pear shaped piece on top of one of the side pieces and cut around it. I scored and slipped the pieces before attaching them. I did the same for the other side. I used a wooden spatula to paddle and shape the spout area to be narrower than the rest of the body of the teapot. I used a wooden dowel to paddle the feet of the pot. I used the extra clay from the sides to make the handle, lid and spout.

Before glazing, I waxed the sides and bottom of the lid, and a small lip on the top of the teapot, and the hole where the lid sits. Along with the holes in the spout area. I used Butter Ranch glaze, and regret that I didn’t allow it to spread around the inside of the pot better. I was afraid I would clog my spout’s holes, which I should have made as one big hole instead of the several little ones I did.

I really enjoyed hand building, and I am very excited for my Functional Clay class, which starts next week.

Advertisements

Play Doh extruder fun!

I finally broke down and bought a new play doh extruder. I hunted for a used one at the thrift store but they never had the correct size round hole.

Today I built myself a clay worktop by covering an old board with a cheap 100% cotton shower curtain. I wrapped it around the board to the back side, pulled it very tight and stapled it. The little squares on the cloth came in very handy today as a measuring device.

It was a beautiful fall day to play with my new toys outside under the vine walk. This is the start of something 🙂

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I wasn’t to thrilled with it, until I paddled it. Which flatten it all out and changed the round balls into triangle shaped pieces. That is what I love about clay, the unexpected happy moments.

I plan on adding three feet and maybe some drainage holes in the bottom, Joe requested a little sieve for rinsing grapes. I might also add some decoration sprigs around the rim, or maybe two two handles, or both.